Today it is supposed to stop raining, yea. We have checked with the routers concerning our passage from Tonga to New Zealand and the lows are continuing to create the dreaded southwest winds that would mean bashing into the sea. There are no weather windows possible into next week, so we wait, but the flight home forces a departure from Tonga by October 19 or we will fly home from Tonga through Auckland and John will make the passage first chance after our departure. We decide to spend the time waiting for weather window in Vava'u as it has the best facilities for yachties.
We break anchor at 9AM and head back to Port of Refuge to top off our fuel tanks so we will be ready to leave if the weather window suddenly opens up. We decide to put out a fishing line on our way back as the waters have churned with feeding tuna. For days we have seen large flocks of birds swirling around the feedings to gather the bits of flesh floating in the water. As soon as we put out fishing lines out, we see nothing but calm water. Later in the day we do see some signs of fish, but sadly no catch.
The fueling people radioed us to see if we were on time. We assured them that we would be at the dock on time for the fuel truck to deliver to us. We arrive half an hour early and tie up at the dock and transfer fuel from port to starboard tank until the starboard tank is full. This way we only have to fill the port tank which is next to the dock. At 1PM the truck did not show. John found the fuel truck driver waiting asleep in his truck for someone to open the gate so he could approach Bella Donna.
We are once again close to town so I decide to take a long hike south of town. I climbed from the Moorings dock to the main road. I noticed that bright red and white banners lined the sides of the road. Houses and Businesses were sporting ribbons, bows and flowers. Obviously this was a special day, maybe a holiday. As I walked up the first hill, students from the University of the Pacific were walking in the opposite direction into town sporting very light blue lava lavas, both the men and the women. It turns out a Royal Princess visited the town today.
I walked past the University of the Pacific and followed more students in light blue lava lavas as they made their daily journey to their homes south of town. I walk about 2 miles thinking the students must live closer to their school; they do not, some are still walking as I turn around. I walk through a little village, Toula, the only business in the village is a refreshment stand on the side of the road. There are a couple of resorts which look more like a Tongan bed and breakfast. A man is selling tee-shirts and wood carvings in front of one of these resorts. The only other tourist I saw was a Scottish university aged lass touring Tonga with a camera who asked me how far it was to town.
Little children the ages of my grandchildren are playing near the side of the road. They all seem curious what an old strange looking man is doing so far from town. They wave and say bye. I think bye must be a Tongan greeting of some sort, but I have not found out what it means.
On the morning radio net we heard an advertisement for Chao, an Italian restaurant owned by Franco. Peter and Virginia from Sail Dance tried Chao and recommended it to us one night. It is a beautiful starry night in Tonga as crew takes the night out in town.
God Bless Bella Donna.
No comments:
Post a Comment