Yesterday I rested to let my body throw off a bad cold. I was hard because the day was
outstanding. In fact the sun almost never hid behind a cloud; the afternoon was very warm,
too warm; however, at sunset it quickly cooled off.
Today we left the Bella Donna at 7:30 AM to go into town and watch the big Rugby match
between New Zealand and France. Many people in the anchorage are passionate about rugby
and there are sure to be numbers of them routing for one team or the other. Many of the
yachts are owned by New Zealanders on their way home. In smaller numbers, but still
noteworthy, are the French yachts that are summering in New Zealand having wintered in
French Polynesia.
The Mango Restaurant, a covered deck on the Moorings Harbor, is offering breakfast and the
game starting at 8 AM for 20 Tongan Dollars, $10 American. John sits us down in Bella
Donna's salon with coffee at 7 AM to educate us on how the game of rugby is played. It has
been several years since I watched a rugby match. We get to Mangos just before the match
starts and the fans already have their game face on.
A New Zealand group in front of us are praising their team and extolling the strengths of
its key players. In fact in the first half, the New Zealand team jumps out to a 13 to 0
lead. The French start the game with bottles of Champagne and glasses for everyone. They
have a kind of quiet relaxed confidence in their team. However, when the French finally
score, some young French lasses stand on their chairs making French body movements to
celebrate showing intense French support for their team. In the end the French won 20 to
18. Thanks to John's quick rugby lesson the game was enjoyable. In querying some in the
crowd about understanding American football, I think they should get a lesson before
watching the game. The typical comment was, "I think I saw the Supper Bowl once but I did
not understand it".
It is Sunday and the town is almost completely shut down. The few businesses that are open
are owned and run by expatriates from USA, New Zealand or Australia. However, the Aquarium
run by San Franciscans Lisa and Ben is closed. We sit on a bench on their deck and use
their internet service.
Back to Bella Donna for lunch we put my bike together. I had broken it down, packed it and
put it on the plane with me from Hawaii. To my surprise it takes only minutes to assemble
it. Later we venture into town for bike ride and walk. Still recovering from whatever
illness I have I took an easy ride 30 minutes south of town while the others walked. There
are a surprising number of English speaking retired folks from other countries living in
Tonga; you see them living in the countryside outside of town. The cost of living is
relatively low, the local people are very friendly and the pace of life is slow. However,
outsiders are not allowed to own property, no real estate investing here.
There are Tongans taking a Sunday walk along the way. Many make eye contact and say hello
to you as you pass; they seem to be even friendlier on Sunday. Back in town, the church
music and song can be heard as another of the many Sunday activities has begun.
God Bless Bella Donna.
No comments:
Post a Comment