I had to lay low today. The doctor put me on antibiotics. It's incredible to get prompt medical care from Dr. Jay in Reno some 6600 miles away. Here I sit on Bella Donna on my way from Papeete to Moorea. The main sail is up and the Genoa is out. We only have 5 to 6 knots of wind to start; however, the wind builds to 18 knots as the passage and the day wear on. The cell phone works and Donna transmits a message from Dr. Jay to start taking antibiotics. I wait a few hours hoping that I feel better, but when I feel worse, I take the first pill. I want to go swimming, but I decide to stay in bed and rest instead.
John, Deborah and Ant are going swimming. The water is warm and the wind blows. The water is so clear you can see our anchor 50 feet below. A very athletic fellow speeds through the anchorage kite boarding between the yachts at anchor. His kite looks just like the one we flew at Lake Almador on our camping trip last week; the same shape as the kite we taught Lauren to fly. His kite comes within feet of anchored yacht masts. His board comes close to hulls at an amazing speed. Suddenly he gets huge air as the 18 knot breeze takes him and his board out of the water. All I can say is wow, impressive. I guess he knows what he is doing.
There is a constant cloud over the 3 highest points on Moorea. Comparing Moorea to the Hawaiian Islands they are both aging volcanic has bens. Moorea is a lush green with abundant palm trees on the flat shoreline that quickly rises up as pointed peaks that look like witch's teeth covered in green velvet. The Hawaiian Island Moorea most resembles is Kauai. Both are old, green, have sharp features and are used often by Hollywood film makers. Mutiny on the Bounty was filmed in the bay we are anchored in. There are two bays on this the north end of the island. Captain Cook is said to have used this Bay during his visits even though the bay to the east was given his name.
There is a 35 mile parameter road that circumnavigates the island with very light traffic on it. Tomorrow's quest is to find a rental bike and see the island followed by a snorkel.
God Bless Bella Donna.
No comments:
Post a Comment